Friday, May 14, 2010

Smoothies! Smoothies! Smoothies!

Submitted by Shauna Hinckley

I don’t really have a specific recipe, I just dump stuff in, but here are some basic ratios to work with.


1 ½ cups juice

1 ½ cups frozen fruit (more if you aren’t using any ice creamy stuff)

2 large scoops of sherbet or frozen yogurt

Ice (optional)



The ones that I made that night actually were only fruit and juice. I like to use OJ, or a tropical blend juice, but any works. The bags of mixed frozen fruit taste really good, or you can always go the berry route. You can even use canned peaches, pineapple, etc and freeze them ahead of time. Using peaches or bananas will give you more sweetness, but I usually toss in a bit of sugar too. The main thing is to blend it really well so there are no chunks (think smooth!) and have a good consistency. I just dump and blend until I get the consistency that I like.



I’ll give you a few combinations that are good (don’t tell Jamba Juice!)



Peach juice, soy milk (opt.), strawberries, peaches, vanilla frozen yogurt

Passion fruit juice, strawberries, peaches, orange sherbet

Raspberry juice, blueberries, raspberries, raspberry sherbet

Apple juice, bananas, blueberries, vanilla frozen yogurt

Soy milk, strawberries, bananas (or fro yo), honey

Soy milk, chocolate syrup (or just choc milk), bananas, vanilla frozen yogurt, peanut butter (opt)

Orange juice, strawberries, bananas, orange sherbet

Orange juice, soy milk, orange sherbet, vanilla frozen yogurt, ice

Raspberry juice, strawberries, raspberries, lime sherbet

Mango juice, mangoes, strawberries, pineapple sherbet


I could go on forever! Also, I don’t usually use soy milk, I substitute in real milk.


On to your favorite!


The Spinach Smoothie

2 c. Milk or Soy milk

2 ripe bananas cut up and frozen

Stuff fresh spinach in the blender to the top

Vanilla

Cinnamon

Nutmeg



Ok, that’s all there is to it!

No comments: