Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Harvest Pumpkin Soup

Submitted by Rosalynde said...

2 small pumpkins, halved, seeded and roasted
6 T butter
2-3 cans of chicken stock (or broth, which is what I used since I had it around---real cooks would NEVER do that!) + water to your preferred texture
1 small parnsip, peeled and chopped
1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
1 turnip, peeled and chopped
2 small shallots, chopped (or regular onion, which is what I used because I had it around!)
3 T heavy cream (I used full-fat evaporated milk)
3 tsp brown sugar
salt and cayenne pepper (careful!) to taste

Scoop out and roughly mash the roasted pumpkin flesh. Melt butter in large saucepan, add parsnip, potato, turnip and pumpkin and cook for 5 minutes. Add shallot/onion and cook for 5-10 more minutes. Add broth and water; bring to simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Let cool. Puree soup; I used my immersion blender "magic wand" which is so easy and one of my favorite kitchen tools, but any kind of food processor or blender will work. Heat soup, stir in cream/milk, sugar, salt and cayenne pepper. Serve.

No comments: